Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Fabric Is In!

My fabric arrived for my blocks for the quilt along yesterday, and it is exactly what I had hoped it would be. It's called Puttin' on the Ritz (in Pink) by Moda and it is perfect for a little girl's room. The fabric is a mix of pinks, creams, and greys and the designs include scrolling, dots, crowns, and more. There is even some fabric with text that says things like "Sweet Dreams," "Sleep Tight," "Wish Upon a Star," and the like.

Once the little ones were sleeping, I decided to go ahead and get started on my first block. The block is a standard 9 square, but for the purposes of this quilt along they have named it "Play a Game of Hopscotch." As I looked at the 12 different fabrics included in my stack of fat quarters I was drawn to a plaid print and a delicate floral print for this block. I cut out my 9- 4.5" squares and set to work.
Unfortunately, having misread the instructions I trimmed my square down to a 12 inch block instead of leaving it a 12.5" block. The block is supposed to be 12" after assembled into the quilt... oops, my bad. So I will have to re-assemble this block again. Fortunately I have enough fabric, and its a good excuse to practice getting my corners matched up perfectly since I missed one on this block. It also prompted me to spend the $10 on a new foot for my sewing machine that has a guide for a 1/4 inch seam... something I desperately needed. Once the foot comes in I will go ahead and assemble the new block to use for the quilt. I'll try to remember to post it when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to hear from you!